Clean and dry your cutting board after every use. When not in use, allow the board to be open to the air by standing it on its edge. Do not submerge it in water or machine wash.
How to Clean
- Rinse with clean running water
- Wash with hot soapy water
- Dry thoroughly immediately after washing
Season and protect your cutting board at least once a month. Use food grade mineral oil and/or beeswax polish which is available at www.emersonpringle.com. New butcher blocks are quite thirsty and will require more oil in the first few weeks of use.
How to Season and Protect
- Rub mineral oil into board with paper towel
- Allow oil to soak in, then wipe off the excess
Sanitize your board on a regular basis and always after cutting meat or fish. Use full strength white vinegar. Keep it in a spray bottle for convenience.
How to Sanitize and Remove Odours
- Wipe with pure white vinegar to kill bacteria
- Slice a lemon in half and rub into board to help remove strong odours
- Use both sides of end grain butcher blocks
- Allow air flow under large butcher blocks by propping it up on small rubber pads
- Use beeswax polish on your wood salad bowls and tongs as well as your boards